Student Employment FAQs

Can a Federal Work-Study student make more than $8.35/hour?

Yes, if you wish to pay a FWS student more than $8.35/hour, you must obtain HR approval via the Salary Request for Undergraduate Students form. You must provide the proper justification why the student warrants more than the maximum. The FWS award would be consumed faster, however, if the student gets close to their max FWS award, Debra Vassey will email to inform you to terminate or transfer to 100% departmental funds.

If a Federal Work-Study student drops from full-time status to part-time, can he/she still work?

Yes, but if the student loses FWS funds, he/she must be paid from 100% departmental funds.

If a student is nearing graduation but is only enrolled for a few hours, can he/she still work?

Yes, as long as he/she is not FWS and is being paid from 100% departmental funds.

If a student works for a contracted entity (such as Aramark, custodial services) of Clemson’s, can he/she work for the Library as well?

Yes, as long as the student is not paid from another Clemson-funded area.

Can international students work up to 28 hours/week during the summer?

During official school holidays and summer break, if maintaining valid status, international students may work up to 28 hours per week. (confirmed with Mack Howard 1/16/15)

Can a student have split pay? (example: $8.00/hr M-Thu, $10/hr Sunday)

Yes, it is possible. See Kristy for details.

Regardless of FWS or not, can a student that is graduating work up until graduation day?


Is it legal to inquire about citizenship?

No, not on an application nor during an interview.