When the split of one undifferentiated name record results in multiple authority records, Backstage
furnishes them all to us. They are also furnishing us with a report that tells us which records have been
Procedure for dealing with these in Notification Service files from Backstage:
Undifferentiated records for which we have gotten multiple records, in the Name.New.MRC file;
1. Isolate and extract all undifferentiated names in the Notification Services files by searching and
marking the 667 field in MarcEdit.
Use this .mrk file to create txt reports of 100 and 667 fields (separately, by selecting the
complete list of fields in MarcEdit’s Select Individual Records to Make and clicking Generate
Report. Records MUST be selected to generate the report.) Export txt reports to Excel (each
column for name and 667 separately; the record number is the linking point).
2. For each name in the spreadsheet, search Millenium for the ARN (Authority Record Number) in the 667 note.
3. Perform an author search for the name in the record and note which titles we have by that author.
4. In the Name.New.mrc file, use the MarcEdit Find/Replace function to search for each individual
new record ARN (in the far left column of the spreadsheet). The “find all” command will work best.
Choose the record and click “jump to page.” You will likely find all records for a particular name in
the same place.
5. Look at the records and decide which one should be kept based on our holdings. Select the records
that you want to delete, and delete them from the .mrc file.
6. Add the LCCNs of those deleted records to your spreadsheet that we will send to Backstage for the
7. Save the file before you close it or when you complete it. This is the file we will load into
In the future, the older records will come to us with a delete code; they will be overlaid in Millenium and
be deleted as a group. Then we will load the new records.